THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Snowy Hives

February is a miserable month.  The holidays are over, the days are getting a little longer, we are looking forward to spring, and what do we get?  Snow and cold.  We woke up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning.  Here is what the hives looked like.

I went out and cleared the snow away from the front entrances.  They won't be using the entrances today, but I wanted to make sure they were able to get the air circulation they need.  I did not see any indication that the bees were alive and doing well, but at just six degrees Fahrenheit I'm sure the clusters were pretty tight and they weren't moving anywhere.

We just finished a week of sub zero temps so I still haven't had a chance to open up the hives and put in the sugar cakes I made a couple of weeks ago.  I hope to get them in the hives later this week when it is supposed to get into the upper thirties.  Maybe I will see some signs of life, too!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...